Sunday, March 11, 2012

Exam Stress & Acne

Spring break is over, and midterms are next week with finals quickly approaching. One of the downfalls after all of the fun in the sun, impending stress from studying and worrying about midterms is it causes breakouts. I have many male and female friends who have all complained with me about when we get stressed out, our face shows it. It is even more stressful as most of us are searching for summer employment and internships to show up to an interview with a big pimple on your face. I believe it makes employers think I am younger than I am and not take me as seriously. What can you do?

First off, know that its common and nearly everyone has acne at some point in their lives. Adults with acne are quite common as well, and stress does negatively impact our health and skin.
Take care of yourself. One of the best ways to combat stress and acne is to take care of yourself by drinking plenty of water, sleeping enough, and getting proper exercise. Also be sure to eat right, meaning follow the recommended servings for fruits, vegetables, dairy, grains, and protein. If you are a smoker, add that to your list to quit because it is going to wreck your body as we all have heard.
Wash your face with an over the counter treatment. There are tons of options, including dermatologists coming out with their own brands. I have found the best for my skin is Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Scrub. You don't want to over exfoliate your skin however, so alternate every other day with a cream cleanser from the same brand. I use my fingers to massage the product onto wet skin, allow sitting for about 30 seconds and then rinsing it off.
Use a toner to help control oil and prevent further break outs. This goes onto a cotton ball after washing and drying your face and you gently rub it all over.
Moisturize your skin despite the acne. You could further aggravate acne by not moisturizing after using these harsh products that have sucked all of the oil and bad things from your face; you need to replenish it with good stuff. There are so many options, but I enjoy Oil-Free Moisture.
Use a spot treatment for pimples. I use Clean and Clear Persa-Gel, but only on the pimple itself.
Be aware that anything containing Benzoyl Peroxide can leave permanent bleach stains on clothing, towels, and/or carpet.
Conceal pimples to hide them while they are being treated and healing. I use the back of a cold metal spoon and hold it to a very red and inflamed pimple to make it feel better while reducing swelling and redness. When it feels warm remove and use a green tinted concealer to cancel out redness. Even guys can do this to cover up a pimple, dab a bit of concealer to hide a pimple and put some translucent powder over to set it.
Remember to follow through with the products you purchased to use. I have mine set on the back of the bathroom sink so I cannot forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment